Are you passionate about the Middle East? Are you interested in culture and education? Would you like to focus your career in International Relations or the not-for-profit sector?
- Fixed term contract for six months.
- Full time position, working hours 9:30am-5:30pm, Mon-Fri, with occasional evenings (35 hours a week).
- You will be based at our offices in Central London.
- This internship is paid at the national minimum rate.
- There will be the opportunity to travel to Oman for 7 days during the internship to conduct an individual project (travel and accommodation expenses will be included).
- Reports to: Programme Manager
What to expect:
You will learn every possible aspect of running an organisation: from dealing with our members to writing reports; from assisting in event planning to welcoming Omani diplomats and guests. You will be expected to react quickly to requests and be able to multitask, assisting in a variety of activities. You will work alongside the office staff and will add real value to the Society, largely contributing to enhance AOS visibility. Subject to good performance, you will be given the opportunity to travel to Om
Primary Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Leading on the Society’s communications strategy, including social media.
- Undertake administration and other office duties.
- Assist in the organisation and implement the AOS annual event schedule.
- Assist in keeping the website up to date with relevant content.
- Respond to Members queries.
- Liaise with universities and students.
- Assist with the coordination and marketing of the AOS different Schemes.
- Monitor current affairs of relevance to the charity and its programmes.
- Conducting interviews with diplomats and guest speakers and transcribing for archive.
- Produce valuable updates on Anglo-Omani relations or aspects of Oman’s history, geography, economy, literature, art, antiquities, languages, cultures, religions, beliefs and customs.
- Attend meetings with AOS partners, corporate members, diplomats, etc.
- Attend relevant events.
- Develop a Final Project of your choice, subject to approval by the AOS Board of Trustees.
- Outline an Action Plan for the trip to Oman, related to the Final Project.
What we are looking for:
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic individuals.
- Graduate in an appropriate field (International relations, History, Languages etc.)
- Strong interest in Oman and wider region.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Ability to work independently and flexibility in being able to manage your own workload and provide support to others.
- Creative and proactive.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is desirable but not essential.
APPLICATIONS FOR FEBRUARY - AUGUST 2020 POSITION CLOSES ON 13TH JANUARY 2020